"I want to be kind to everyone, for that is right you see.
So I say to myself, remember this. Kindness begins with me."
This beautiful children's song is so lovely and innocent. The words remind me that I get to be first in showing kindness to others. Go First! Be first to show love. Be first to admit when things are not working. Be first to call a friend or loved one. Be first to use this approach and I guarantee miracles will happen in your relationships.
I learned from a very young age that being kind to others is a very admirable thing to do. I was taught to forgive, be patient and supportive. Yet somewhere along the way I also learned that being kind to myself was a sign of weakness. Massages, long naps, facials, even food falls under the category of pampering. Taking care of our bodies and wanting to be beautiful falls under the category of being vain.
Somehow, somewhere, someone decided that kindness is something that can only be bestowed upon others. Allow me to offer another interpretation of this beautiful children's song. Kindness begins with me! Folks! Are you listening to this? Kindness to yourself is vital to your happiness, and your happiness counts!
My favorite word is Genshai. I learned it from Kevin Hall, a delightful, bald, and inspiring man. Genshai means never treat anyone small INCLUDING YOURSELF.
Why? Because they way I treat myself reflects the way I treat my children, my neighbors and my friends. Are you noticing the ripple effect?
I believe Genshai is the secret word to unlimited happiness. How many times each day do we scold ourselves and say critical things to diminish ourselves? Be honest!
When you treat yourself unkindly by worrying, complaining, blaming, and belittling yourself it will reflect in your circumstances, your friends and your whole life. Honestly accepting our shortcomings but not diminishing ourselves is the key to making Genshai work.
Be good to yourself because no one else has the power to make you happy.
How can you honestly ensure your families happiness if you are not feeding yours?
I am reminded of this every time I am on a plane. The flight attendants are always careful to remind us to put our own oxygen mask on before attempting to help anyone else. When you feel happy and peaceful, you want to reach out to others and get that peace and love all over them. But you can only give love if you love yourself first.
Let Genshai live in all of your thoughts and actions. If your thoughts are filled with worry and doubt, you will begin to see it everywhere you go. On the other hand, when you begin to think thoughts that are kind, gentle, loving and truthful you open yourself up to participating in miracles of love, joy and abundance!
Come into this moment. Be present in the now! Wake up your Divine Light by truly loving and being kind to yourself. Go about your day in peace and grow knowing who you are right here, right now. When one's life is lived with such harmony, it is much easier to look in the mirror and love yourself more completely and wholeheartedly because you have afforded yourself every kindness possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment